[mythtv-users] Lirc - ARGH!

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 12 11:29:34 EST 2004

Quoting Gabe Knuth <me at gabeknuth.com>:

> Ok.  Ran through this stuff without any success...
>
> Following some directions from the lirc.org site, I've typed in mode2 at
> the
> command line and get the following error:
>
> [root at localhost root]# mode2
> mode2: error opening /dev/lirc
> mode2: No such device
>
> Sure enough /dev/lirc doesn't exist.  I'm too much of a noob to know what
> the next step is, so if you guys can help out again, that'd be great.  I'm
> (hoping to be) using the Packard Bell remote and receiver, if that helps.
> All it really means to me is that I probably don't need the CVS version of
> Lirc, and that I can probably get away with 0.6.6 (although I still have no
> idea where to begin, how to remove what parts of 0.7.0 I have, yada yada).
Hmm...  Did you do a "make install" as root after compiling lirc???

"make install" usually creates /dev/lirc...

Also, you can still get "no such device" for /dev/lirc if the file exists but no
driver can be found for that particular major/minor dev.  (i.e. you need to
modprobe lirc_whateveryourdriveris)