[mythtv-users] Recordings to DVD

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu Feb 12 07:10:18 EST 2004

	I just wish the DVD specification allows for SVCD resolution of
480x480.  For record cable broadcasts, 352 vs 480 "lines" is noticable, but 704
(the next DVD-supported resolution) is way overkill.

-Cory

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, William Powers wrote:

> FWIW, if you need to be able to play your archived recordings on most
> any DVD player, you can master a DVD at a resolution of 352x480 at 2400
> kbps video bitrate, 128 kbps audio bitrate, and get 4 hours of very good
> quality video on a single DVDR.
>
> If VCD quality video suffices for your application, you can master that
> same DVD at 352x240 with a correspondingly reduced video bitrate and get
> 8 hours on the DVD.
>
> Bill
>
> J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> > Thomas Börkel wrote:
> >
> >> HI!

> > Personally, I'm less and less interested in archiving to video DVDs and
> > more interested in archiving MPEG4 content to backup DVDs so I can fit
> > several shows on one disk.

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*
* 	- teach what you do.						*