[mythtv-users] Re: Lirc and Mythtv (Hauppauge Gray Remote)

Aleaxander alex at carbonated.com
Thu Feb 12 01:18:25 EST 2004

Simon at the Threshold wrote:

> Afriad it's a v.busy mailing list..
>
> Your problem sounds like lircd isn't configured correctly, infact what
> your describing sounds exactly like what happens if you attempt to run
> it up without its inital configuration tweaks.
>
> I suggest you do back to Jarod's installtion instuctions and retry
> again, lirc is'nt a no-brainer install but the learning curve isn't very
> steep.  Forget about using mythtv to test lirc and switch over to using
> the irw (also in Jarod's guide) utility its a good confidence test.
>
> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#lirc
>
> Unfortunatly I've ditched lirc on my fedora system since I got my ATI
> wireless remote (acts as a keyboard extension).
>
> Otherwise I'd be happy to offer assistance if you where to post the logs
> and errors that are generated by Jarod's installtion/confidance tests.
> (modprobe /sbin/service lircd start etc.).
>
> Regards
> Simon

First of all, thank you very much for replying.  I have gone back and
followed Jarod's guide for setting up Lirc and unfortunately nothing
happens when I run /usr/bin/irw.  It just returns to the $ prompt :(

Jarod's guide refered me to /var/log/lircd to check for any problems.
However, that file does not exist on the system, which makes me a bit
suspicious.  But when I check the system that lirc is still working on,
there is no /var/log/lircd there either.  Weird.

Like I said in my original mail, Lirc was working until I setup NFS on
the backend server and mounted the video and tv directories there on
this machine.  Do you think this could have something to do with my
problem?  If you have any other suggestions for approaches to debugging
this problem I would, again, very much appreciate it.

Thanks,

-Alex