[mythtv-users] fanless nvidia modification

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Wed Feb 11 08:18:21 EST 2004

ian at duckland.org wrote:

>Over the last couple of days I've come to realize that some nvidia cards
>don't come with onboard fans.  All three of mine do.  Someone mentioned
>that one can obtain a heatsink mod for NVidia cards.  Anyone got any idea
>where they're sold?  My Myth box is just toooo loud...

If you seriously want to get rid of noise in your box here's what I
recomend (in order):

1) Replace your power supply.  Something like a SilenX.
2) Replace your CPU cooler.  Zalman 6000 or 7000 AlCu models are nice
and quiet.  As is the Scythe Kamakaze
3) Replace you case fans and put them on fan controls so you can slow
them down.

Practice proper cable management so that airflow is unrestricted.  When
you start replacing fans and coolers.  Use the biggest fans that will
sit since you can move more air at slower speeds (and hence less noise).

If you machine is still noisy after that, you can look into changing
your VGA / Northbridge cooler.  If you're really picky you can use sound
deadening material inside the case.

A good resource is http://www.silentpcreview.com  a couple places I shop
for quiet PC parts:  http://www.quietpcusa.com and http://www.pctoys.com