[mythtv-users] Spilt Myth mailing list?

mythgnomer at rowelab.com mythgnomer at rowelab.com
Tue Feb 10 21:29:20 EST 2004

Vi rulez, emacs sucks! And Apple.. And birth control.. And Democrats.. And
Labor.. And Islam.. And Republicans.. Heh.

Seriously, though.. A few thoughts.

Any forum or even list split would be only as successful as the users who
frequent it and help each other out. A list (sub-list, group, forum) of
clueless folks going 'me too! Same problem! If you figure it out, tell me!'
will just frustrate current (or potential) users. People also tend to
dislike topics that are posted in the wrong place, or those that
unintentionally cross boundaries into another list / forum.

On the other hand, if the target audience is other developers, then this
whole influx of newbies must be aggravating to that audience. I've been on
lists like that, and they have a tendency to degrade into 'RTFM', 'Google it
first, luser', or 'Search the archive, moron' when those tempers flare. What
you really don't want to have happen is to take the 25-35% of subscribers
who are both a) knowledgeable and b) willing to help out and make them
jaded. If it becomes a job to actively participate, theose power users /
developers will just lurk.

So something that lets users target their interests might not be a bad
thing, but it would need to have the buy-in of folks who help so many
already. Not an easy challenge.

As to the size / speed of forums.. You don't have to read every post. Those
who don't have the time / inclination / ability to set up IMAP don't have
the choice about not downloading every post to the list. Again, though, that
gets to the idea of what's the target audience.

Personally, I have no preference. I have forums that I visit, and
(obviously) lists. Usually, the larger the breadth of topics, the more a
forum becomes appropriate. But where those topics touch each other
frequently, a list really helps.

-Scott Rowe