[mythtv-users] Spilt Myth mailing list?

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Tue Feb 10 17:26:00 EST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Tony Caduto wrote:

> Come on, even on a 56k modem it does not take twenty seconds to render a
> page.
> You must have one slow connection.

Umm.. I actually said 10 seconds, not 20.  I'm on a 512k DSL line and it
is quite usual for pages to take 10 seconds to completely render.  The web
is not the most low-latency way of transfering data - using the web
involves opening many TCP connections per page and the TCP session setup
alone takes time (in the order of 200 or more milliseconds per connection
on a DSL line).  Either way, it's still *WAY* slower than just hitting
page down in PINE, which gives me the next 20-odd messages immediately.

> I would tend to believe that most people that frequent this list have fast
> connections anyway, so the speed thing you argue is not valid.

Most != all.

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/