[mythtv-users] directions for a micro-ATX mobo+VGA

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 10 14:53:01 EST 2004

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 12:28, Franco wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I don't know of any boards that are exclusively pci.
>
> well I already have a microATX board which has onboard Intel 845 GL
> and 4 PCI slots (NO agp slots). But I can't tell which brand it is...
>
> > Also, i've never liked onboard vga.  it usually gets interference
> > from the other components on the motherboard,
> > thus reducing the quality of the picture.  Just get a cheap
> > geforce4 card.
>
> Well, it's not a matter of saving money.
> I want to put my system in the "CoolerMaster ATC 620" HTPC case
> which is very cool, but can only host microATX boards.
>
> Thus if I can have the VGA onboard, and no AGP slot, it's one
> more PCI slot that I can use....

While I agree it's 'nice' to have that extra PCI slot available, ask
yourself if you really think you'll need it.  If you plan your system
appropriately you shouldn't need it (unless you want 4 tuners).  For
instance, I'm planning on getting a uATX board myself.  3 PCI slots
gives me either 3 tuners or 2 tuners + 1 other expansion card.  I
really can't think of what I'd even use a PCI slot for, since I can
get:

- onboard USB
- onboard FireWire
- onboard LAN
- onboard video (or AGP card)
- onboard sound

If you want WiFi you can get an external USB or wired<->wireless bridge
(if you get a USB dongle you can even route it inside the case)

Of course, "you never know" what you might need a PCI slot for, but keep
in mind you're building a machine for a very specific purpose, not
general use.  Aside from changing/upgrading tuner cards, it's unlikely
that you'll be doing a lot of hardware changing.  Looking for a
4-PCI-slot uATX board is going to seriously limit your options, and you
might end up with a crappy board.  Which is worth more to you -- a good
stable mobo or an extra PCI slot?

That said, I found these links in the archives:

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=a7s266-vm
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7s266-vmu2/
overview.htm?m=a7s266-vm

-JAC