[mythtv-users] TV-out: video card vs. PVR 350

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 10 11:34:52 EST 2004

>From: Franco <net.surfer at tiscalinet.it>
>To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] TV-out: video card vs. PVR 350
>Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:46:31 +0100 (CET)
>
>Hello,
>
> > As far as the best output for recording to a VCR (still seems
> > like a bad idea), from all I have read and seen I would think
> > that a 350 would give the absolute best output
>
>OK, so, it seems the Nvidias only differ in the analog (TV-out) part,
>while the digital part is the same for all (correct?)
>Thus, what about a configuration like this?
>
>- motherboard with on-board GeForce4 MX, fan-less and TVout-less
>		and
>- PVR 350
>
>this would save me from the "which Nvidia?" issue, save money,
>save trouble, save one free slot, and get a better TV-out quality, right?
>
> > If you don't already own a PVR-350
> > If you'd like the best possible quality for archiving video
> > spending the money on a DVD writer instead.
>
>YES, of course my primary mean for recording video would be digital
>encoding
>(files, DVD, CD, etc.), but as you all confirm me that it is better
>to use the VGA for displaying on the DLP projector,
>what else can I do with the TV out, other than connecting it
>to the VCR input? (I'd not trash my VHS recorder,
>and keep it fully functional in the system).
>
> > BTW: if you don't currently have the DLP working with your
> > VGA I would ask for advice
>
>Oh, no, it works marvellously and I'm very happy with it! :-)
>It's just a plug-in replacement to the VGA monitor.
>I like it so much that I've even thrown away my 21" monitor
>and am using the DLP projector for doing everything
>(email, word processing, etc.) on the wall of my room... :-)
>
>Thanks,
>Franco

As I believe you found out in another post, the 350 can handle
output of X as well as video, but only for Svideo, so your DLP
would not get as good a picture.  I would stick with the 250 if
you have not already purchased the 350 and use the DLP on
the VGA port.  If you have onboard GeForce then no reason
you need any other video out when used with the DLP.

As a side note, if you are still considering going with the 350
I should also note that Svideo output only works for MPEG2
streams.  Currently that means that DVDs and other high
volume data will not work (though there is a patch for Mplayer
to work with the 350) [yes, X works, but it is low volume data
and works].  Full yuv output to the 350 may some day be
possible, but doubts have been cast, so it's anybody's guess.

Personally, my VCR is now a doorstop.  I don't think that if you
plan on occasionally archiving to videotape that the extra
expense of the 350 would be worth it (over an nVidia solution,
which you CAN get on a mATX mobo), but it is up to you.

Hope this sheds a little more light.

-- Harry O.