[mythtv-users] TV-out: video card vs. PVR 350

Franco net.surfer at tiscalinet.it
Tue Feb 10 06:46:31 EST 2004

Hello,

> As far as the best output for recording to a VCR (still seems
> like a bad idea), from all I have read and seen I would think
> that a 350 would give the absolute best output

OK, so, it seems the Nvidias only differ in the analog (TV-out) part,
while the digital part is the same for all (correct?)
Thus, what about a configuration like this?

- motherboard with on-board GeForce4 MX, fan-less and TVout-less
		and
- PVR 350

this would save me from the "which Nvidia?" issue, save money,
save trouble, save one free slot, and get a better TV-out quality, right?

> If you don't already own a PVR-350
> If you'd like the best possible quality for archiving video
> spending the money on a DVD writer instead.

YES, of course my primary mean for recording video would be digital encoding
(files, DVD, CD, etc.), but as you all confirm me that it is better
to use the VGA for displaying on the DLP projector,
what else can I do with the TV out, other than connecting it
to the VCR input? (I'd not trash my VHS recorder,
and keep it fully functional in the system).

> BTW: if you don't currently have the DLP working with your
> VGA I would ask for advice

Oh, no, it works marvellously and I'm very happy with it! :-)
It's just a plug-in replacement to the VGA monitor.
I like it so much that I've even thrown away my 21" monitor
and am using the DLP projector for doing everything
(email, word processing, etc.) on the wall of my room... :-)

Thanks,
Franco