[mythtv-users] Stuttering sound and 100% cpu after channel changes

Jeppe N. Madsen jeppenm at worldonline.dk
Tue Feb 10 04:08:49 EST 2004

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Isaac Richards wrote:

>  On Sunday 08 February 2004 05:21 pm, Jeppe N. Madsen wrote:
> > I'm currently trying out mythtv and are testing on some old
> > hardware before committing to a full setup.
> >
> > I've observed the following: If I watch livetv and let the livetv
> > buffer fillup (I've set it to 2gb so approx 1 hour) and change
> > channel, the sound starts to stutter and the backend cpu usage
> > goes to 100%. The frontend logs some "prebuffer wait timed out"
> > messages. Changing channel again improves the situation slightly,
> > but the backend still uses more than 50% cpu (usally 98% idle
> > during livetv). It seems the only solution is to exit livetv and
> > start again.
> >
> > Note that changing channels before the buffer is full seems to
> > work fine.

>  Fixed in CVS last week.

And it works too :-) This (or something else in CVS) also seems to
have fixed a problem I had when running live tv overnight. It used to
hang after 6-7 hours with the backend pegged at 100% cpu.

This morning I was able to, for the first time, leave live tv
running overnight and still have a functioning system in the
morning. Cool!

rgds
Jeppe