[mythtv-users] TV-out: video card vs. PVR 350

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 22:56:47 EST 2004

>From: Franco <net.surfer at tiscali.it>
>To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>Subject: [mythtv-users] TV-out: video card vs. PVR 350
>Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 01:02:59 +0100 (CET)
>
>As to this observation:
>
> > if you have a video card with TV out then the 250 will be fine
> > and is cheaper.
>
>I have already bought a DLP projector (which I love! :-) )
>What I am planning to do is to keep the projector connected to the
>VGA output, while using the TV-out to record stuff on my VHS VCR.
>
>The questions:
>
>- is it right to do so, or is there any reason why
>   I should use the TV-out to drive the projector?
>   (In this case I'd need two TV-outs on my system
>   and I'd waste the VGA out)
>
>- which would be the differences between the two solutions
>   (video card with TV-out versus PVR 350) for recording on
>   the VHS recorder?
>
>Thanks,
>Franco

Recording stuff on your VCR previously captured on your
PVR-250 seems like a step backwards, but to each their
own.

If you are already using the VGA port to drive the DLP then
I would say you know what's what and should use the VGA
port.  Using tv-out to drive the DLP would give you worse
looking output than the VGA port and waste the capabilities
of the DLP.

As far as the best output for recording to a VCR (still seems
like a bad idea), from all I have read and seen I would think
that a 350 would give the absolute best output, but probably
only marginally over a good nVidia card's tv-out.  If you don't
already own a PVR-350 and don't intend to use it as your
primary method of viewing recordings I can't say that I think
the slight improvement in tv-out quality would be worth it
(unless, of course, there is some special significance to
the video you are putting on the VCR).  If you'd like the best
possible quality for archiving video I would recommend
spending the money on a DVD writer instead.

BTW: if you don't currently have the DLP working with your
VGA I would ask for advice from someone like Jarod (Jarod,
strange visitor from another coast, able leap tall buildings in
a single bound,...) who apparently has gotten very good
output to his large screen TV using a scan converter (for
reference check the archive for the picture of his setup).

HTH!

-- Harry O.