[mythtv-users] Is this the GeForce4 MX440 card to buy?

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 22:41:57 EST 2004

>From: "Malcolm" <mythtv at lds.dyndns.org>
>To: <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Subject: [mythtv-users] Is this the GeForce4 MX440 card to buy?
>Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 18:34:01 -0600
>
>I found this on newegg.com
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-139-134&catalog=48&depa=0
>
>Is this the card you guys are refering to as having excellent TV out
>quality
>AND stable drivers that work?  Wanted to make sure before I purchase it.
>
>I already have a PVR-350 but think I will put it on the back burner until
>ivtv gets a little more stable.  Sucks having a mythbox that crashes on
>live
>TV all the time.
>
>Thanks guys
>Malcolm

This is, in general, the card to which such references have been made
(by myself and others).  HOWEVER: I should caution you that not all
MX440 cards are created equal.  My card is a 64MB DDR 4X card made
by PNY.  Other cards (possibly the Jaton) may work just as well but I
have also heard that different cards use different tv-out chips and that
not all tv-out chips support overscan settings in XF86Config when
using the binary drivers from nVidia.

I cannot tell you for sure which tv-out chips work and which do not, but
perhaps someone else has that info.  You also may not be able to get
the type of tv-out chip for the Jaton card without having one in hand
(perhaps contacting Jaton would help?).  In the end, unless someone
can tell you for sure that they have this exact card and it works well in
ways you are still taking something of a chance (although, perhaps,
less of a chance than you might be taking with other cards).

As a slight side issue I should also mention that the picture on the
NewEgg site shows that this card has a fan, so noise levels may or
may not also be an issue.

Hope I have pointed out some of the possible issues and that this
helps you in your decision.

-- Harry O.