[mythtv-users] Mythmusic playback segfault w/ gdb output

Steven Poulakos poulakos at uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 9 17:55:31 EST 2004

I'm a new user.  Using the WinTV 350, MythTV is amazing!!  However, I'm
having problems with MythMusic.  I can successfully import CDs (to Ogg
V. and mp3) and select music.  When I select the "Play Music" icon, the
player opens, but the mythfrontend segfaults and I get an annoying
cyclic audio tone.

I have read some problems in the archive related to Via chipsets.  I may
have one of those chipsets, but I'm confused as to why XMMS and
Rhythmbox play ogg/mp3s without error, but MythMusic seems to have a
problem.  When not using my WinTV 350, I can hear/see choppy audio and
video on my slow'ish machine.  So, my sound card seems to work with
MythTV.  Possible solutions involve using the Alsa drivers.  Before I
try that, is there a way that I can get MythMusic to work with the
standard Via 82C686 Audio Codec?

Below is some audio hardware info, a gdb run of mythfrontend, and a
snippet of the segfault that I've received.

Snipped from dmesg output (note: I have a Via chipset FV24 motherboard
and Debian Unstable dist.):
Via 686a/8233/8235 audio driver 1.9.1-ac3
PCI: Found IRQ 3 for device 00:07.5
PCI: Sharing IRQ 3 with 00:0f.0
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:07.5 to 64
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: ICE17 (ICE1232)
via82cxxx: board #1 at 0xDC00, IRQ 3

Executing mythfrontend with gdb:
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend
[New Thread 16384 (LWP 547)]
2004-02-09 13:50:38 mythfrontend version: 0.14.20040123-1 www.mythtv.org
2004-02-09 13:50:38 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
[New Thread 32769 (LWP 551)]
[New Thread 16386 (LWP 552)]
2004-02-09 13:50:40 Registering Internal as a media playback plugin.
2004-02-09 13:50:42 Registering MythMusic Media Handler as a media handler
[New Thread 32771 (LWP 554)]
[New Thread 49156 (LWP 555)]
[New Thread 65541 (LWP 556)]
[New Thread 81926 (LWP 557)]
[New Thread 98311 (LWP 558)]
[New Thread 114696 (LWP 559)]
[New Thread 131081 (LWP 560)]
[New Thread 147466 (LWP 561)]
[New Thread 163851 (LWP 562)]
[New Thread 180236 (LWP 563)]
[New Thread 196621 (LWP 564)]

Note that the program doesn't segfault when running GDB, but it still
fails/crashes.  The threads were created when I was rescanning and
setting the playlist.

Executing mythfrontend without GDB (below), I see the segfault.  The
script executed below changes the display (to the TV via WinTV 350) and
then executes the frontend.  Selecting the "Play Music" icon generated
the segfault after opening the music player:

sh-2.05b$ ./tvscreen_frontend.sh
2004-02-09 14:00:22 mythfrontend version: 0.14.20040123-1 www.mythtv.org
2004-02-09 14:00:22 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
2004-02-09 14:00:23 Registering Internal as a media playback plugin.
2004-02-09 14:00:24 Registering MythMusic Media Handler as a media handler
./tvscreen_frontend.sh: line 4:   557 Segmentation fault      mythfrontend
sh-2.05b$

-Steve