[mythtv-users] How stable is your myth setup?

Paul Woodward paul_woodward at fastnet.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 17:28:41 EST 2004

Hi Steve,

You were spot on - I have been using RAID0 in the kernel and that gave a
BadCRC error on the drive to which Myth was recording and must have
killed the backend.

I guess that kills my usage of s/w raid. The only immediate alternative
I can think of is to write a cron job to move the recordings out of the
default folder to another local disk and sym link them so that the drive
doesn't fill up. In theory it should work ok.

I'd like to get a software raid card, but I figure that putting it on
the PCI bus wouldn't be a good idea with 3xDVB cards as I must be close
to the bandwidth ceiling. At the moment I have two SATA drives off the
southbridge (Springdale chipset) so they aren't (as far as I understand)
taking the PCI bandwidth. The other option I'm thinking of in the long
term is to nfs mount a remote server over dedicated gigabit Ethernet
link, that way I can utilise PCI raid cards or maybe PCI-X if that ever
comes out!

Paul