[mythtv-users] ivtv

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Mon Feb 9 10:54:22 EST 2004

Quoting rwk at americom.com:

> Hi,
>
> This has happened to me several times over the last year since I started
> using mythtv and I lost the grammys this time as a result, so I thought
> it was time to ask...
>
> Occasionally I will go to watch a recording and find out that it is zero
> length.  When I check, I find that the ivtv driver is hung.  I rmmod
> ivtv and modprobe ivtv and it start working again just fine.
>
> So my question is, is there a definitive way to monitor /dev/video0 and
> make sure it is working.  (Keep in mind it may be recording a show when
> checked.)
>
> If so, I would set the monitor script to rmmod and insmod the driver,
> thus hopefully not loosing the whole days worth of recordings.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions...
> Dick
>
> P.S.  Maybe this should be posted on the ivtv board, but I thought if
> there is a good way to handle it, others in this group would be
> interested.
Go through the archives, look for a message with a subject something like "Misc.
tips and tricks for RedHat + ivtv users" posted by me.  I posted it 3-4 days ago
or so.

It includes a set of scripts/cronjobs that will monitor the Myth backend logs
for Input/output errors from /dev/video0, and if they are detected, will stop
the backend, unload and reload the driver, and restart it.