[mythtv-users] Myth 0.14 - Version 1.0??

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Mon Feb 9 07:53:13 EST 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu wrote:

> 	This is not the case.  Some cards do not have the hardware to do it
> (perhaps nvidia... not sure if it's hardware or driver).  Often it's the

The nVidia cards do support interlaced modes - there is a hack for the
opensource driver that lets you set them.  Unfortunately the opensource
driver is slow, doesn't provide the /dev/nvidia0 device, and the closed
source drivers don't support interlacing (and are closed so we can't add
support ourselves).  Unfortunately I can't see nVidia bothering to add
interlace support because there is almost no demand for it (even though
AFAIK all they need to do is set a bit in a register).

> ATI Rage128 for my tvout-via-interlaced-vga, since it's new enough to
> have Xv, but can still do interlaced.

Unfortunately on a non-NV card you can't do vsync, so tearing is a problem
and you have to deinterlace the video otherwise the field order is often
wrong.

How much CPU does your X use up when playing video BTW?

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/