[mythtv-users] Help me size next cpu, Athlon 2800+ MP enough for high quality/filters?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Feb 8 19:36:00 EST 2004

On Feb 8, 2004, at 12:47, Tony Maro wrote:

> J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
>> D Banerjee wrote:
>>> I really want to get a board with 64/66 pci or at least integrated
>>> gigabit,
>>> which means getting an Intel CSA board or waiting for the nforce3
>>> 250.
>>>
>> If you're worried about CPU usage on the record, just use a PVR250
>> then filter on output / transcode.  I've recorded a show, while
>> watching a recording with the kerneldeint filter running and a show
>> being transcodeded to MPEG4 at 3500bits/high quality/4MV and had
>> PLENTY of cpu left.   I only use a single AMD 2500+.
>
> One note on Gigabit.  Cheaper gigabit may = huge processor usage.
> I've used Linksys gigabit cards before (I think they were linksys...)
> that were dirt cheap.  Sure, they push the data fairly well, but
> processor usage when moving a file was 80%+ on BOTH systems, just to
> do a file copy operation in Windows.  I have zero Linux experience
> with gigabit.

I've got a Linksys-branded GigE card in my file server running Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 3. Its a National Semiconductor chipset, using the
ns83820 module, and while saturating the card on a 100Mbps network, CPU
usage hangs around 8-10%, with most of that being nfsd. No GigE switch
yet, but thats one of the next upgrades I'm planning. Perhaps in the
mean time, I'll crossover it to my G4 and see what kind of CPU usage I
get... (The Linksys card is in an Athlon 800 system).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/