[mythtv-users] Myth 0.14 - Version 1.0??

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Sun Feb 8 18:34:36 EST 2004

Quoting malcolm-mythtv <mythtv at lds.dyndns.org>:

> On Sunday 08 February 2004 12:40 pm, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > >I can't play back a DVD to the TV without it been super slow and jumpy.
> > >know this is not MythTV's fault but rather something to do with Xine /
> > > ivtv driver and using the PVR-350 out.  Anyhow my point is I can't
> watch
> > > DVDs yet
> >
> > Again a PVR350 issue.  Lost (most?) folks don't use a PVR350 with it's
> > TV out (for the exact reason you mentioned).
>
> I though lots (most?) folks where using a PVR-350 because of the exceptional
>
> TV out quality?  Maybe I just got that impression because I see so much talk
>
> of the 350 on the board?
I think a lot of people have switched to less visually-pleasing output methods
until the ivtv people track down the problem.

I don't use my 350s TV-out currently, and had no immediate plans to use it.  But
I bought it "just in case".  I do use the FM functionality though.  (the 250
doesn't have FM)

> > True, you can't transcode MPEG2 to MPEG2.  But I believe nuvexport
> > solves that problem for you.  Personally, I'd transcode to MPEG4 and put
> > 3 or 4 movies on one disk instead of one per DVD.
>
> But doesn't transcoding to MPEG4 defeat the purpose of having my PVR-350
> card?
> Now when I go to play the movie back is it not going to have  to do some sort
>
> of software CPU intense playback?
MPEG2/4 playback isn't that CPU intense at sane resolutions (i.e. not 1080i HD)

Plus MPEG2 commercial cutting code exists as a patch (and I though it made it
into CVS a few weeks ago?), I'm guessing right now people are working on working
out the bugs before that's enabled in release versions.

For now you can use avidemux2 externally to cut commercials out of mpeg2
recordings.  Works GREAT if you have 2.0.20 or higher.