[mythtv-users] Starting out - Which Distribution?

Cecil Watson cwatson at linkline.com
Sun Feb 8 13:53:10 EST 2004

Michael Segulja wrote:

>I am what I would consider an expert in Linux, but I'm very new to the whole PVR world on Linux.  I'm very excited to have found MythTV and I really look forward to seeing what I can do with it.  However, I have one question before I get started.  I'm curious to see if you would recommend any one distribution over another?  I don't want to start some sort of flame war over this, but I'm sure there are some distributions that are easier to get working than others for MythTV.  I prefer Mandrake 9.2, and is the distribution that I run on my desktop machines.  I also recently discovered Gentoo, and although I haven't installed it yet, it looks very promising because it seems to be ready for MythTV once installed.
>
>Thanks for your advice.  Just looking for some general ideas to point me in the right direction so I can start playing around with this.
>
>----
>Michael Segulja
>LMD Computing Solutions, Inc.
>(281) 376.8181 | Office
>(281) 300.8285 | Mobile
>(832) 717.5126 | Fax
>http://www.lmdcs.com

Please try KnoppMyth.  It is a distribution I started for one thing and
one thing only make the Linux/MythTV install as simply as possible.  It
addition is has all the software you need for a media center.  MPlayer,
nuvexport, Samba and NFS to share you files on you local network and
more.  An install can be done in as little as 10 minutes.
http://mysettopbox.tv

Cecil