[mythtv-users] Wavy picture = bad PVR-250 card?

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Sat Feb 7 23:00:18 EST 2004

Jonathan Makela wrote:
> Hi All,
> I've been running MythTV using a PVR-250 for about the
> past three months.  Everything was working great until
> about a week ago when I began to get lots and lots of
> "waves" in my picture.  It almost looks like when you
> view scrambled channels, although not quite that bad.

Aha - I had two different similar problems.  One problem was with my old
19" TV off and on before I replaced it with a new 27".  The problem was
interference from the PC on the video cable leading to the TV.  The
older TV was more succeptible to it.  It's also possible you're getting
interference on the cable TV line itself feeding into the card.  Or it's
possible too that there is something wrong with the tuner.

However, try moving the PC away from the TV on an extension cord (like
the middle of the living room floor) and disconnect your audio cables as
well to eliminate that as a possible interference point.  Move cables
around.  Grab cables with your hand to see if that eliminates the
problem while holding it, etc.

Of course if you're not using a TV this is not likely the problem...

My second problem (actually it was first, but whatever) was that the
tuner was detected incorrectly and I had to specify in my modules.conf
what kind it was.  However, this is unlikely to be the cause if you have
tried the card in Winblows using Winblows software.  It was weird
because I could use xawtv's fine tuning to pull in a station just fine.

-Tony