[mythtv-users] MPEG2 demultiplex

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Sat Feb 7 21:59:45 EST 2004

Quoting "Bruce C. Dillahunty" <bdillahu at peachbush.com>:

> I don't know if this would really help with anything, but since I don't
> totally understand what all the MPEG2 transcoding, etc. is doing, and I
> saw it on freshmeat:
>
> http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/software/m2psd/
>
> It is a supposedly fast MPEG2 demultiplexor for Linux.
>
> Bruce

Interesting link.

Although:
"mp2psd was written because all of the free software MPEG 2 demultiplexers I
could find were very slow, and did not output the offset between the first video
and audio timestamps."

mpeg2desc from dvdauthor seems to meet both of these criteria.

a)  when using mpeg2desc + mplex, I am I/O bound, not CPU bound.  I don't think
a different demultiplexer is going to make my hard drive faster.  :)
b)  mpeg2desc will output the audio offset.