[mythtv-users] Lirc is kickin my butt

Jon Waite jon at jonwaite.com
Sat Feb 7 16:36:33 EST 2004

Having just been through this hopefully I can help...

First thing, check that you are loading the lirc_dev and lirc_serial
modules. Lirc_serial needs the correct parameters for your COM port if
autodetect fails (IRQ 3 and port 2F8 are defaults for COM2 I think, IRQ 4
and port 3F8 for COM1).

Next, you *may* need: setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none (for COM2, COM1 would
be /dev/ttyS0) to prevent the kernel serial module from grabbing control of
COM2 and preventing lircd from accessing it. I say *may* because this step
wasn't necessary for me (and I'm still not sure why).

Now try running the 'dump2' or 'xdump2' programs from lirc - these will
display the raw codes being received from your remote (hopefully).

If that works ok, then all you need to do is update /etc/lircd.conf with a
suitable config file from the lirc for your remote before irw is going to
show you the actual buttons. (http://www.lirc.org/remotes/) if you can't
find anything suitable there, then use irrecord to create a new config file.

If you need to use multiple remotes then you'll need to merge together the
config files for each remote into /etc/lircd.conf.

Hope that helps, Jon.