[mythtv-users] A few beginner questions

Mike Jasper e394td at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 02:29:59 EST 2004

Hi all,

I've read the docs on mythtv.org - still trying to understand a few
things before buying gear.  Three questions (can't guarantee there won't
be more later...) :-)

1) I have an existing Linux box in my office I'd like to use as a
backend.  I want to have a remote frontend (small, quiet) in the living
room.  I assume this means the Dish Network tuner has to live next to
the backend box in the office, to feed into the tuner card?  When
watching live TV will the frontend be able to change channels on the
Dish tuner via the backend box, even when using an lirc remote?  Am I
making sense?

2) Do you always need to have a keyboard/mouse available on the
frontend, or can all watching/recording, etc. be done via the remote
control?  My WAF will go *way* down if the former.

3) Sound card - It sounded like if you're using a single tuner card you
can just run a cable from the tuner card to the sound card.  But what if
you have two tuner cards?  Do I understand correctly that I must use
btaudio if using two tuner cards?

My original plan was to just make a combined front/back end using the
ATC-620, but I'm worried about noise and also heat in the entertainment
cabinet.  Plus I already have a fast Linux box that I realized would
make a great backend.

Thanks much.