[mythtv-users] native lirc still not working in Myth - worksoncommand line.

Malcolm mythtv at lds.dyndns.org
Fri Feb 6 14:40:49 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jarod C. Wilson" <jcw at wilsonet.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] native lirc still not working in Myth -
worksoncommand line.

On Friday 06 February 2004 08:13, Malcolm wrote:
> > As for the file.  There are not CR in it.  I don't have any windows
> > boxes at
> > home so no notepad involved.  Plus my error when starting mythfrontend
> > is
> > "file not found" which makes me think something is looking for a file
> > in the
> > wrong place?

> >>Are you running the backend as root? Because the root user is the only
> >>one that'll find that lircrc file...
>
> Yes I am.

>>Ack. Sorry, I meant to ask if you were running the frontend as root, not
the
>>backend. The frontend user is the one that has to be able to read lircrc,
so
>>if you're running the frontend as a user other than root, they won't be
able
>>to read it. And you really shouldn't be running the frontend as root
(though
>>I seem to recall it being a requirement for use with Ivor's libddmpeg for
the
>>cle266).

Yes I'm running both the backend and frontend as root.  The reason was
because when I initially setup my Mythbox it was an old POS and root user
seemed to run Myth faster than a regular user.  Not sure if that's because
root is given more system priority or what?  I will probably change that at
some point since I now have a decent CPU, MB etc.

Anyhow I think Joseph Kennedy's post may have been the answer.  I guess
somehow I had a few extra lirc libraries etc. laying around on the drive
that myth was probably compiling against.  I did a "updateddb; locate lirc >
listing.txt" to see what was out there.  I then deleted all the lirc files
on the drive I could find.  I then reinstalled lirc and ran "updatedb;
locate lirc > listing1.txt"  Compairing the two files I see there were extra
lirc files on the drive that the current install I'm doing now did not put
there.  I've already recompiled myth again and will see if that did it when
I get home tonight.

Thanks
Malcolm