[mythtv-users] Changing filesystems?

Blues Guy bluesguy_1 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 09:05:48 EST 2004

Ok, I promise I'm not going to make a habit out of
replying to myself, but I wanted to clear up something
Steve said in the post above me, because it's
misleading and I couldn't let it slide...

He says, "one file uses exactly one inode, no matter
how big it is.", which isn't true for EXT3.  This is
*mostly* true for a filesystem like XFS, that uses
dynamic inode allocations and a btree free list, but
EXT3 *DOES* use inodes per block size, dictated by the
args when you create the filesystem; thus the reason
you really want to use the "-T largefile4" option when
you create it.  This reduces the inode count on the
disk, and causes less disk thrashing and I/O problems
when you delete or create  large files. (e.g. 2GB+)

FYI - The -T argument effectively sets the bytes/inode
ratio as you would with the -i argument...

On the other hand, XFS is a magic in and of itself,
and that's a story for some other time (because I
don't use it...) :-)

Greg