[mythtv-users] PVR 350, TV tuning and DVD decoding

Nowhere nowhere at cox.net
Thu Feb 5 20:13:49 EST 2004

On Thursday 05 February 2004 16:14, Franco wrote:
>> I see that the PVR 350 is mentioned a lot and, if I understood
>> correctly, it is the only hardware MPEG encoder/decoder working
>> under Linux (which also provides a supported ir remote control).
>> Before ordering one, can you confirm this?

> Yes, it is the only device I know of that does all of the above.

Yes but if you only need encode (ie recording) then the PVR-250 will fit
the bill as well. You CPU should be able to handle the decoding easily
and if you have a video card with TV out then the 250 will be fine and
is cheaper.

Eric

On Thursday 05 February 2004 16:14, Franco wrote:
> I see that the PVR 350 is mentioned a lot and, if I understood
> correctly, it is the only hardware MPEG encoder/decoder working
> under Linux (which also provides a supported ir remote control).
> Before ordering one, can you confirm this?

Yes, it is the only device I know of that does all of the above.

> Or are there alternatives which should be considered?

Not really. Unless you absolutely must be able to watch divx movies
right now.
The driver is still under heavy development, so not everything works,
and not
everything is entirely stable yet. If those are problems, you might
consider
a different combination of capture card and output device.

> There are however a few things unclear to me:
>
> - does the "125 channel cable ready TV tuner" work only in the USA,
>   and with cable TV? Would it become just a useless piece of hardware,
>   once in Europe (analog/digital TV coming from antenna) ?

If you get the NTSC version, yep. But there's a PAL version for Europe
too.

> - is the hardware MPEG decoder of the PVR 350 dedicated to a specific
>   function (is the USA cable TV coded in MPEG format ???) ?

The encoder part of the card encodes the cable TV stuff (or broadcast
stuff)
to mpeg2, it doesn't come down the pipe from the cable company in mpeg2
format. (Its another story with ATSC/HDTV, but that's not relevant
here).

>   Or is it a general-purpouse device that mythtv can use for other
>   things, like watching a DVD or a .mpg file ?

General-purpose.

> Also, I only found the term "stereo" on hauppauge web site.
> When decoding a DVD, will I get the full 5.1/6.1/7.1 information
> sent to the digital output of my soundcard?

If you specify the sound card as your audio output device, yes.

HTH...

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...