[mythtv-users] project: THX Linux HTPC - suggestions needed

Franco net.surfer at tiscali.it
Thu Feb 5 18:36:44 EST 2004

So, I need suggestions for buying the hardware.
What I am trying to do is a THX compliant HTPC.
AFTER visiting http://www.thx.com/,
but BEFORE discovering about Linux/HTPC, I bought:

- Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro (7.1 THX soundcard)
- Creative Gigaworks S750 (7.1 THX speakers)

and also

- BENQ PB6100 DLP projector

Now what I am wondering is: can I still have the system
work with Linux? If yes, which other cards/pieces
do I need to complete the system? I live in Europe (Italy)
and I'd like my system to be able to play at least:

- TV (from antenna, it is analog now but becoming digital)
- satellite
- my old VHS recorder (and also record on it)
- DVD

Also, if I could have more functions on the same card,
thus reducing the number of needed card, this would allow
me to save space and use a nice little HTPC case for the system... :-)

BTW, I'm not sure I have understood correctly mythtv's architecture
but... in case the cards are too many for a single case, can I
benefit from the backend/frontend metaphore to "split" the system
into 2 or more PCs (network connected)?

(Sorry if I make dumb questions but I've read again and again the
documentaion without finding a clear answer... it is written like
people already know some things.)

Any suggestions are welcome! :-)
Franco
e-mail: net.surfer at tiscali.it