[mythtv-users] MythTV performance optimisation - live TV watching?

Paul Koster mythtv at kosteronline.net
Thu Feb 5 15:25:35 EST 2004

> > My capture settings? I am not sure - probably the default ones.  How do
> > I find out?

I wonder what kind of capture card is used here?

> Go to Settings -> TV Settings -> Recording profiles in your frontend.
>
> If you're using the default settings, that's your problem.  A 1GHz
> processor isn't powerful enough to do Live TV at the default settings.

Not totally sure what the default settings are but in my memory something
about 480x480 at 4000 Mbps. A 1 GHz processor should do that with ease (in
combination with the correct video card). I use a 400 at 450 MHz Celeron
576x576 at 4000 Mpbs at approx 90% cpu load using a GF4MX400.

> Try reducing the frame size to something like 352x480, and play with the
> bitrate slider until you get smooth playback.  You'll lose some quality,
> but that's the only way you'll get that machine to do Live TV.

I guess his problem is with the video card he is using. Check the
mythfrontend output / log to see if anything is mentioned about xv overlay
being unsupported with as result that things like scaling are done in
software. Before the GF4MX400 I used a Riva128 4MB based card which could
not even show 2000 mpbs streams because it missed the xv overlay features.

--
Paul