[mythtv-users] Serial link - how ?

Jon Waite jon at jonwaite.com
Thu Feb 5 05:22:10 EST 2004

OK, I'm stuck. hoping someone here can help out a bit.

I'm in New Zealand and have a Myth box setup and running fine with a PVR350,
intending to add a 250 to it at a later stage, but happy with just the 1
tuner card for now.

I have 2 Sky digital decoders in the house, one is a Pace DSR620-GM the
other is a Motorola DTH320-4, both have RS-232 serial ports on the back, but
I can't find *any* details on either of these boxes online despite extensive
googling etc.

My original plan was to try getting serial working so I could change
channels via the serial port - How ??? I can't find any information on the
decoder boxes, let alone how to change channels via the serial ports.

The fallback plan was to build an IR transmitter and change channels via
Infrared. But, I've build a generic serial IR receiver, and tried using the
Hauppage IR receiver from the 350, and while both work fine using the
Hauppauge remote, neither work using either of the Sky box remotes (never
receive anything). I had a look through the configuration files on lirc.org
and couldn't find either model on there either, or anything that really
looked equivalent - so I've got no idea what codes to send out on IR and no
(apparent) way of capturing these either.

I'd hate to have got this far only to find out that I have to manually
switch channels every time I want Myth to record something.

HELP!

Someone else must have one of these boxes and figured out how to get the
channels changing ???