[mythtv-users] Choppy video after 0.14 RPM upgrade

Eric Westfall ewestfal at mailcan.com
Thu Feb 5 00:50:24 EST 2004

> Eric Westfall wrote:
> > I had almost the same thing but didn't get a message about the system
> > too slow.  I ended up removing all of ivtv from my machine and then
> > reinstalling it (using Axel's RPMS).  I had compiled ivtv from cvs when
> > first set up mythtv and had then installed the rpms later.  I think I
> > more than one of the ivtv binaries lying around :)  Not sure if your
> > is related or not, it just sounded familiar.
> >
> > Later,
> > Eric
> Didn't show up the first time..
> Eric,
> Thanks for the response.  I think you may be on to something, since at
> one point I did try compiling and installing ivtv from source.
> As I understand it, compiled programs are generally in /usr/local/bin or
> /usr/local/sbin, while RPMs are deposited in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin. I've
> got a bunch of ivtv stuff in /usr/local/bin which would seem to indicate
> that the compiled ivtv binaries are in use, yet when I run an apt-get
> install ivtv it tells me I'm already at the latest version.  I would
> think that apt-get would only know about stuff it has "gotten". How did
> you get the compiled version off your system cleanly and reinstall from
> RPM using apt-get?  Thanks again.

Sounds really familar now :)  I had the four binaries from the ivtv I had
compiled by hand in my /usr/local/bin directory.  Files ivtvfbctl, ivtvplay,
mpegindex and test_ioctl I believe.  I basically just deleted those files
from /usr/local/bin and removed my ivtv installation using apt-get remove.
You may also want to run 'find -name ivtvfbctl' from your root or usr
directory just to see if you have the binaries sitting around somewhere else
that they shouldn't be.  Once I was pretty sure I had removed the pieces of
ivtv that I could, I rebooted and made sure that my tv-out was no longer
working.  Then I ssh'd in to my mythbox and reinstalled ivtv-firmware,
ivtv-kmdl and ivtv (using the instructions at
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/#capture).  I basically went through that whole
section again.  Something else interesting to note is that he has some stuff
in his modules.conf file which I did not, so I went ahead and added those
(mpg_buffers=90 and dec_yuv_buffers=20), not sure if that had an effect or
not.  I then rebooted and everything was working again :)

That seemed to work for me, hopefully it will work for you too.  Good luck!

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list