[mythtv-users] [OT] Commercial Nosiness

Patrick Reynolds reynolds at cs.duke.edu
Wed Feb 4 18:10:28 EST 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 steve at nexusuk.org wrote:

> I'm very supprised how public TiVo are in the amount of data they collect
> - people generally don't like spyware, and it gives the advertisers more
> ammo when they complain about PVRs cutting the number of people who see
> their ads.

On the flip side, Tivo gets itself lots of press whenever it announces
what the most-watched part of the Super Bowl was.  And advertisers and
producers must appreciate knowing what things people _will_ watch, even if
they hate being reminded that some of us don't watch commercials anymore.

Clearly, someone at Tivo has decided that an annual press release about
their spyware is doing more good than harm.

--Patrick