[mythtv-users] Info on KWorld IR receiver cable

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 4 15:31:06 EST 2004

>From: Gerald Gryschuk <gerald.gryschuk at shaw.ca>
>To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Subject: [mythtv-users] Info on KWorld IR receiver cable
>Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:40:24 -0600
>
>Here's a question that probably doesn't come up much but I'm hoping
>someone knows the answer.
>
>Does anyone know what the electrical assignments are on the mini-rca
>jack of the IR receiver cable that comes with the KWorld KW-TV878RF-Pro
>card?
>
>I'm working on making a serial IR receiver for lirc and thought I'd
>reuse the IR cable that came with my KWorld card. Seems reasonable to me
>but apparently I need to know which of the 3 connections is which, go
>figure. I'm told the very bottom is usually ground so I have a 50/50
>shot with the other two(e.g which is power & which is data) but I don't
>want to bet on those odds(yeah I'm a wimp).
>
>Thanks.
>--
>Gerald Gryschuk <gerald.gryschuk at shaw.ca>

It's a diode @ +5V, so I don't think you are really running much of a
risk if you hook up the pins wrong.  I don't think you are going to
find the pinout anywhere short of Taiwan, the card is just not that
common as far as I can tell.  The pinouts for the Hauppauge IR port
are:

Base = GND
Ring = signal
Tip = VCC+

and this looks to be the same connector as the KWorld port (both
sub-mini stereo).  I would say give it a shot and see if it works.  I
got my Hauppauge IR diode-on-a-stick (okay, -on-a-cable) to work
with the LIRC basic serial circuit using this pinout (reference prior
postings to this list re: my tightness with a buck).

HTH!

-- Harry O.