[mythtv-users] Re: Photos of myth boxes

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Feb 4 13:54:15 EST 2004

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 06:53, Brian_Meehan at Nexpress.com wrote:
> My wife and I have a house where the living room is in a finished basement,
> half a floor below the entrance level. That means that directly below the
> entrance level is a 40'x12' storage area, about 4' high. It's always cool
> down there, and I have lots of access to cabling... so that's where my Myth
> box is.

That's rather handy! I wish I had better ways to get cabling through my
house...

> The TV is mounted on the wall that's shared between the living room and the
> storage area, so video cables just go through the wall and into the back of
> the TV or receiver. I'm running an Onkyo TX-SR700 receiver. Myth runs out
> the VGA port, into an RCA VHDC300 Y Pb Pr converter, and then into my
> receiver's component in. Thanks to Jarod's guide, the image looks great on
> the Sony KZ-42TS2 Plasma.

And I've got some further tweaks for ya to get that guide positioned perfectly
on the screen. I've been tweaking my picture, basically reducing the screen
resolution a bit, but inside similar 960x540p timings, so I have the entire
desktop fitting nearly perfectly on screen now. That way, Myth simply runs
full-screen, rather than in a window sized and nudged into place on screen,
which makes the menus and button behave a bit better...

> My wife has been really supportive of the MythTV project. We were really
> disappointed with Time Warner's joke of a PVR (SA Explorer 8000), and we
> cancelled our Dish Network (with PVR501) sub when Time Warner offered a
> killer deal on digital cable. Going back to live TV was NOT an option!

Heh, yeah, we never watch anything live anymore either.

> Since Myth supports multiple tuners and easy setup of new recordings, it
> was an easy sell. I have a labtech wireless RF keyboard which she likes,
> but the recent purchase of the RS-15-2117 remote has helped to make things
> even better.

I assume you mean 15-2116, since I don't see a 2117 on RadioShack's website
(but I could be wrong). Yes, the addition of that remote helped nudge up the
WAF a bit, and made her much more comfortable taking the controls. I'm
getting a second one this afternoon for my secondary MythTV system upstairs!
;-)

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...