[mythtv-users] BBC THREE/FOUR

Paul Woodward paul_woodward at fastnet.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 07:51:13 EST 2004

> Paul Woodward wrote:
> > I'm slightly confused - I thought that the pids changed in
> > real time to indicate the state of transmission. Isn't it
> > therefore necessary to effectively scan on changing to that
> > channel rather than at configuration time?
>
> That's obviously one way to do it (but I would make that an
> example of how it should not be done). I've also got one of
> those shared channels in my channel three, but this does not
> change pids in the middle of the transmission.
>
> One way to solve this is to add a autopid flag to the
> dvb_channel table, and write a service description table
> parser which does the job of updating the pids at the
> beginning of a show and/or at a specified interval. Although
> I would recomend having such a feature disabled as default,
> because 99.9% of the channels have static pids. And it takes
> some time before the table reach us, so that's yet another
> delay on channel changes. There was such code (incomplete
> though), in the earlier dvb-alpha releases of the mythtv-dvb
> code (might still be archived).
>
> Kenneth

My C/C++ is way off the mark for doing this myself, but the auto pid idea sounds pretty good. I agree that doing it for every channel would be a bad idea.

One of my friends is a DVB guru, and I'm sure I remember him saying that the DVB pids info for all channels is transmitted on every multiplex. If this is the case could the updates be done automatically (if the tuner is in use) and hence no delays in changing channel.

Paul