[mythtv-users] Newbie questions

Philippe C. Cattin cattin at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Wed Feb 4 05:03:47 EST 2004

Thomas,

> This is what I want to be able to do:
> 1. record 2 shows at the same time

you need at least two tv-capture cards to do that (as in your HW
configuration)

> 2. if possible, watch one of those or an older recording at the same time

no problem at all. even with one capture card you are able to watch an
older recording while recording a new one.

> Is it OK to only have one hard disk (100 GB UDMA/100 Western Digital)?
> Should the hard disk have 7200 rpm?

just about any harddisk is fast enough.

> What filesystem should I use? Is reiserFs OK?

reiser is perfectly okay. however, I use ext3 (just for personal taste).

> If recording from analog TV, what bitrate do I need to get an MPEG2 that
> is almost identical to the source? Thinking of the noisyness of analog
> TV, I could think about 6 MBit or something.

sounds reasonable. When I tried 4Mbit the image looked blocky during
fast scene-changes.

Philippe