[mythtv-users] Help with system specifications, and pcHDTV question...

Nate Thompson natet at buckeye-express.com
Tue Feb 3 17:15:17 EST 2004

Hello --

I recently stumbled across this project with the help of a friend and am
about to build a test PC to see how everything operates. If all goes well, I
would like to build a system that would initially be used to capture regular
TV/cable programs, but could be upgraded to capture OTA HDTV signals in the
future. I have been looking through the archives, and have found that there
have been some issues getting the pcHDTV card to play nice with another
capture card in the same system. Is this still true? Has there been a
solution for this problem found yet?

Anyways, below is my proposed system specs. I am basically looking for a
system that will allow me to record atleast one show while watching another
without any major issues.

Case/MB: Asus Pundit
CPU: Intel Celeron 2.4GHz
Memory: 512MB DDR (1GB eventually if it would help with HD
encoding/decoding)
HD: Western Digital 120GB 7200 8MB Cache (with a larger drive
added/replacing it when pcHDTV installed)
Capture: Hauppauge PVR-350 Card / pcHDTV (in the future)

For sound, etc. I would use the onboard peripherials found on the Pundit MB.
Any comments/suggestions on this setup? Would that processor be enough to do
HD capturing while watching other recordings/sources? If the pcHDTV multiple
tuner issue is still around, I would probably get another capture card.
Could I use a 250 instead or should I keep them all the same?  Thanks for
any help you can offer.

Nate T.