[mythtv-users] Re: X / kde issue...

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Mon Feb 2 05:17:05 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 12:50:19AM -0700, schepens wrote:
> I upgraded a package (redhat-artwork?) in order to get around some
> issues with qt package incompatibilities that were preventing me from
> proceeding with the MythTV installation.  Now, instead of the red hat
> login when I start X, I get the fedora login.  And once I log in, I get
> a cursor and a blue background but no KDE startup splash screen.  It
> seems that KDE just hangs now.

Which distribution are you using? Red Hat 9? Sounds like you are
getting packages for FC1. I am ccing the kde-redhat list, where there
are experts on kde.

> I'm assuming that I need to get the rest of KDE up to the same revision
> so that everything works together, but I'm not sure whether that's the
> best route to take.

kde-redhat and many other repos support both Red Hat 9 and Fedora Core
1, but you should not mix them (unless you want to upgrade your
system). Choose only for one set of packages.

> At any rate, I did try getting all the packages I thought I might
> require from a Fedora mirror but when I try to install them, rpm
> tells me that kdebase requires libsensors.so.2, which should be in
> lm_sensors*.rpm but must not be.

This is part of the compatibility package lm_sensors281-2.8.1-1_3.rh9.at.i386.rpm
If you are using apt a dist-upgrade should have done all neccessary
steps. What are you using for upgrading your system's packages?

> Thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Another general question: are the Axel Thimm rpm packages at a point
> where it would be simpler to install them onto Fedora rather than Red
> Hat 9?  I seem to have come up with a number of snags in Jarod Wilson's
> howto related to package revisions in Red Hat 9 being older than those
> required by the .at.rpm pachages.

Red Hat 9 and Fecore Core 1 should be the same for ATrpms,
e.g. (almost) all packages are built from the same sources. It
shouldn't make a difference from ATrpms' POV. It may make a difference
if you compare Red Hat 9 and Fedora Core 1 basic features.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de