[mythtv-users] XBOX Myth & FOCUS Video Chip

Dennis Cartier pvr at trigger.net
Sun Feb 1 22:24:30 EST 2004

Duane Ellis wrote:

> Dennis - if you are out there I could use some help.
>
> Otherwise - if somebody else has some suggestions Please - offer them.
> I'm not getting anywhere.
>
> I have a xbox 1.5 with the focus video chip, I have done a software
> mod (mechinstaller) that's not a problem.
>
> With myth-box 1.3 - text boot mode screen is unreadable
>
> With MechInstaller emergency linux - text mode screen is unreadable.
>
> With Eds debian vrs 1.whatever - text mode screen is *readable* but
> oversized (cut off on the edges)
>
> By unreadable, I mean there appears to be no Horz/Vert hold, the
> screen flips around and jumps constantly.
>
> I believe I have xbox-myth installed correctly - basically doing it
> semi-blind via the emergency linux hack.
>
> Every custom kernel I've built - has the same bad horz/vert video
> problem and crashes during boot up - because of the bad horz/vert
> video problem I cannot read what has gone wrong to debug it.
>
> Suggestions?

Hi Duane,

Xebian 1.0 is suppose to work with xbox 1.5 and up. It only works in 640
x 480 at this point (from what I hear). It is the only version that
supports the focus chip (I think).

Have you tried to adjust overscan with xbv? ssh in and try 'xbv -auto
640 480 4.0 4.0'. The last 2 parameters are the horizontal and vertical
overscan values. Adjust them until you are happy with the size of the
screen.

After using xbv, you will have to disable double buffering with 'xvattr
-a XV_DOUBLE_BUFFER -v 0' from an X session. Otherwise Myth runs very slow.

Dennis