[mythtv-users] Starting off with Debian - which version?

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Sun Feb 1 17:01:36 EST 2004

Am So, den 01.02.2004 schrieb Jerry Rubinow um 21:32:
> I want to set up the latest release of Myth on Debian.  I've been reading about some problems with the Stable version of Debian (i.e. MythMusic not working with the stable FLAC version), which require upgrading various packages and/or compiling various things.
>
> Being somewhat new to Debian, I was wondering if it would just be easier to upgrade the whole system to Testing or Unstable, if that would require less headaches, or if I would run into more problems than I'd avoid with the stable version if I did that.
>
> If I should upgrade the whole system, to which version - Testing or Unstable?

Hmm, good question, I run unstable at home and testing/unstable at the
institute. Unstable isn't that unstable, what it doesn't have is
security updates (not necessary on a mythbox in a NAT environment) so
you'll have to keep an eye out for security risks, and about twice a
year there is a major overhaul (usually when kde or gnome are updated)
when it gets lots of unresolved dependencies. But part from that, go for
unstable on the mythbox.

Beware, do so BEFORE the transition to 2.6. kernels goes further. The
libc is already built against 2.6. headers.

Look at my sig.

Torsten
--
Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough