[mythtv-users] Installed new hard drive, and now Myth doesn't work!

Clay claybo at pacbell.net
Sun Feb 1 04:33:25 EST 2004

Hey everyone.  I posted this over on the ivtv list as well, since it
seems to be ivtv at fault, but haven't heard anything yet.  Maybe
someone here has a better idea of what's happening?

My Myth machine is an EPIA ME6000 with a PVR 350.  I had an old Seagate
60GB drive on it before.  With that drive, Myth worked BEAUTIFULLY.  It
rarely crashed, and I don't think ever crashed once when watching
prerecorded materials.  I just bought a new Maxtor 120GB, since the
60GB filled up so quickly.  I hooked the Maxtor up, partitioned it, and
copied all the stuff from the 60GB onto it.  It boots up just fine,
starts up MythTV just the same way as the old 60GB did -- everything
was copied with cp -ax so right now the 120GB is an exact clone of the
60GB.  The 60GB is no longer connected to my Myth system.

However, ivtv -- at least playing MPEG2 files -- seems to no longer
work properly with my PVR 350 when I am booted off of the 120GB.  When
I go to live TV, it'll sometimes play for about ten seconds and then
freeze up.  Sometimes it won't even play -- it'll just freeze right
away.  Going to a prerecorded show locks up the machine entirely --
can't ssh in or anything.  When the PVR 350 locks up during live TV, I
get the following in dmesg:

ivtv: ivtv-api.c: unknown ioctl 0x803c7601
saa7115[0]: decoder set size
Hpsc: 0x00001, Hfsc: 0x007d3
Setting full NTSC height
saa7115[0]: decoder disable output
saa7115[0]: decoder enable output
spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.
spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ15.

I'm assuming the problem is with my new drive, since the old 60GB drive
worked perfectly before, and nothing has changed except for swapping
the drives.

Thanks for any suggestions any of you might have!  I really wish I
could get this working before the Superbowl -- I'm not big on football,
but would love to watch the commercials.  (Guess I'll have to turn
commercial skip off...)