[mythtv-users] Error setting tuner type with PVR-350

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Feb 1 01:07:55 EST 2004

On Jan 31, Mike wrote:

> I've been in the process of setting up a new MythTV box and for the
> most part things have gone pretty well. I have a PVR-350 card and was
> able to getting the TV-out working and am able to capture using the
> S-Video input. However, I'm having trouble loading the tuner module.
> If I have the line "options tuner type=2" in my modules.conf file,
> then ivtv doesn't load and neither does any audio drivers. I'm running
> RH9 with ATrpms and have been following Jarod's guide. I know this may
> be more of an IVTV question but that list doesn't seem to have much
> activity and I figured that there are a lot of people using the 350
> with MythTV. Any ideas?

[snip]

> ----------Snip of dmesg output---------------
[snip]
> Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
> 000003be
> printing eip:
> c02468cf
> *pde = 00000000
> Oops: 0000
[snip]
> ----------Snip of dmesg output---------------

And Steve replied:

> I got that same problem just after I updated bttv. Whether that is the
> problem, Im not sure.
> I just re-started from scratch, as I didnt really want my bt8x8 card
> there anyway - So I took it out

And then Jarod said:

I had pretty much identical output from segfaults this evening while
starting in with my new PVR-350. Reverting to the stock Fedora kernel
(2.4.22-1.2149.nptl) resulted in a working system. I do also have the
bttv 0.9.12 drivers installed for the ATrpms kernel (but not for the
stock kernel), though I just pulled the card out, so I may try
switching back to the ATrpms kernel, sans-bttv 0.9.12 and see if that
indeed is the problem (sounds like from Steve's reply that it might
be).

(several minutes pass)

Okay, removing bttv-0.9.12 makes things work again w/the latest ATrpms
kernel. Just to be certain, I also yanked the corresponding
video4linux-kmdl-<kernelver> and video4linux. This isn't the first
problem to be noted with bttv 0.9.12... On the bright side, Fedora's
stock 0.7.x bttv should work fine for now for those that still have a
bttv card in with their ivtv card...

Oh, I've got ivtv-fb loading now (after beating my head on the wall for
a while with those segfaults), test pattern works fine over both SVid
and Composite, actually piping video out it to follow shortly...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/