[mythtv-users] USB to Serial Adapter with LIRC

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Fri Dec 31 22:53:51 UTC 2004

Last I checked they are pretty much all generically supported under the
stock USB driver.  I used a generic cheapo one to control a LCD
character panel about a year ago using a stock 2.4.X kernel.  As far as
Linux could tell it was a plain jane RS232 device at /dev/ttyS2.  The
nice thing about USB is that it'll scale quite nicely for serial devices
since it's so much faster than any reasonable RS232 device you'd ever
use.  You might need to invest in a USB hub if your motherboard doesn't
have connectors, but at this point I wouldn't sweat it.