[mythtv-users] xine not playing all DVD's?

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Fri Dec 31 11:19:30 UTC 2004

Hi,

I tried to play some DVD's as that is the first thing I want my box to
well. But I could very well play 1 DVD (The muppet show) but it failed on
another (LOTR 1). All of them official DVD's.

The error details I have gathered are:

[mythtv at saruman ~]$ gxine
server: trying to connect to already running instance of gxine
(/home/mythtv/.gxine/socket)...
connect: Connection refused
server: socket '/home/mythtv/.gxine/socket' created
libgnomevfs.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory.
lirc: lirc_init failed. Make sure that you have lircd running
lirc: and that you have the permissions to connect to the socket
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 1-rc8 from http://xine.sf.net
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.8 for DVD access
libdvdread: Could not open /dev/dvd with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/dvd for reading
libdvdnav: vm: faild to open/read the DVD
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 1-rc8 from http://xine.sf.net
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.8 for DVD access
libdvdread: Could not open /dev/dvd with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/dvd for reading
libdvdnav: vm: faild to open/read the DVD

 * POPUP window 1:
xine engine failed to start.

No input plugin found.
Maybe the file does not exist, has wrong permissions or
url syntax error

 * POPUP window 2:
Read error from: /dev/dvd

[mythtv at saruman ~]$ ls -la /dev/hdc
brw-------  1 mythtv disk 22, 0 Dec 31 10:13 /dev/hdc
[mythtv at saruman ~]$ ls -la /dev/dvd
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Dec 31 10:13 /dev/dvd -> hdc

Any help will be appriciated.

Hugo.