[mythtv-users] IR Blaster Howto website moved!

rwraithr at iwamble.net rwraithr at iwamble.net
Thu Dec 30 17:10:02 UTC 2004

Greetings!  I'm fleeing the San Diego area and moving to Portland, OR,
so my original Using an IR Blaster with MythTV website,
http://members.cox.net/rwraithr, is shutting down on January 6, 2005.

I set up a new page for the IR Blaster Howto at
http://www.iwamble.net/index2.html.

As an aside, if anyone in the Portland area has employment ideas for a
relocating Senior Software Engineer (C/C++/Qt) or UNIX/Linux System
Administrator, do let me know. 8)

Feel free to contact me with questions or comments.  You can reach me at
my new e-mail address: rwraithr at iwamble dot net.

Thanx!

IR Blaster Howto Info:

The mission was to get MythTV to use my Actisys IR-200L blaster to
change channels on my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000.  Since MythTV
uses lirc for its remote control, and lirc hasn't (for me) easily
handled two devices simultaneously, I had to get an independent lirc
running to drive the blaster.  To do this, I followed the
recommendations found in mythtv-users postings by Sriram Balakrishnan,
Gary Te Young, and Mike Smith.

This HOWTO and accompanying scripts comprise my attempt to steamline the
process for others.  While I can only say that this works for my setup,
hopefully it will be helpful with other hardware combinations.

I have MythTV installed on a Fedora Core 2 box, using Jarod C. Wilson's
HOWTO at http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/index.php, with a Hauppauge PVR
350.  As stated, my IR Blaster is the Actisys IR-200L, which I got from
http://store.snapstream.com/index.html under Accessories.

I've added notes throughout for the 2.6.x kernel changes.