[mythtv-users] Jarod's HOWTO for FC3

Paul Leppert phlepper at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 22:19:56 UTC 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:37:14 -0700, match at ece.utah.edu
<match at ece.utah.edu> wrote (snipped):
> Someone, I don't know if it was you, Matt, stated that the guide should be taken offline. I
> don't believe that the author of that remark intended it to be taken the way it was by the
> "communuity:" It ruffled a lot of feathers for no good reason. I'm sure that it was made in
> the frustration of the moment, but suggesting that the guide should be taken offline is
> WAY over the top. (on the part of whoever said it) In fact the "put up or shut up" remark
> was a knee-jerk as well. I'm sure the author of that remark didn't intend it the way it
> sounded either.
> I wish Jarod and Axel could devote a day or two to focus all of their attention on the
> guide and the RPM's. For that matter I'd bet that Isaac would welcome a WHOLE DAY,
> but that ain't going to happen unless someone were to send them each a couple of
> hundred bucks, along with all the goofy hardware that we try to make it run on, so that
> they can take a day off of work to play with MythTV.
> Meanwhile, we have one heck of a good starting point in the form of Jarod's guide,
> which is now in it's 3rd generation and almost works.

All, I'm new to mythtv (and brand new to this mailing list), but just
went through an install with FC3 and Jarod's guide.  I only ran into a
handful of problems:
    1. My video folders were not set up with correct permissions (root
versus mythtv)
    2. My hauppauge remote needed a different /etc/.lirc file than the
one that Jarod described (even though I had a new hauppauge pvr-250)
    3. The instructions seem to be missing a mknod for /etc/video and
/etc/lirc (but that may have been user error following the
    4. Finally, the instructions for making everything work following
a reboot (auto restart) didn't work for me and I ended up putting
everything in rc.local (modprobes, ln for /etc/video, lircd, mtd, and

I found Jarod's guide to be invaluable in setting everything up
(especially for a linux / mythtv newbie like me), so I don't
understand the comments that people are unable to use Jarod's guide.

I'd be happy to post the specifics of my changes from Jarod's guide
(I'm trying to document everything so I can recreate my configuration
since I'm just test-piloting this now).

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.  --  Confucius