[mythtv-users] any video cards with component out?

Wouter Lagerweij wouterla at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 09:51:22 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 17:46 -0500, sean darcy wrote:
> >This may not be what you are looking for but if you buy an xbox and its
> >component adaptor you will get a hdtv frontend for about $200-$250
> >depending
> >on modchip.
>
> I see that xbox has a component adapter. But how does the rest of this work?
> I have another machine that has the hd3000, and then what...? How do I
> connect to the xbox?  I assume this is the modchip. What's that?  Where do I
> get it?

The modchip mentioned is a chip that can be build into your xbox to
allow it to run non-signed software, such as linux.
Microsoft doesn't allow this by default, since they make money on
selling xbox games, and want you to buy those instead of only using the
xbox as a nice myth frontend.

Note that you can hack most xbox's without installing a modchip, but
this is a bit less flexible that a modchip. See www.xbox-linux.org for
some more info on getting linux to run on an xbox.

You can find more about running Myth on the xbox on
http://bit.blkbk.com/ (and in particular the forums at
http://bit.blkbk.com/phpBB2/ ).

You should note that though the xbox has a component out, and can run
hdtv resolutions, I'm not sure it can actually handle
displaying/decoding 720p/1080i content fast enough. (I haven't got any
hardware to siplay those resolutions...)

Wouter