[mythtv-users] Newbie: FC3 - MythTV backend setup - stuck. 2. Also setup GUI issue. 3. Also UK settings?

Clive at Rational clive at rational-communications.com
Tue Dec 28 22:31:31 UTC 2004

Hello,

    I have searched through the MythTV mailing list
and not found answer to this - sorry if it HAS already
been answered.

     Setup: Conexant WinFast TV2000 XP input card
(a.k.a GDI Black Gold) - works fine under WinXPPro SP2
Trying to run card under MythTV on a Fedora Core 3
(FC3) kernel 2.6.9.something.

The TV signal is being provided from a "terrestrial"
aerial / antenna.

    MythTv software install was performed according to
the excellent instructions in "Installing and using
MythTV" by Robert Kulagowski

    I used the "apt-get" method to install all
required MythTV (0.16) & other packages as the
"manual" process seemed fantastically tedious.

    As far as I can tell the software is installed OK.
I can start the backend and front end GUIS and they
display fine.

  1. I am at section 9 of the install instructions -
Configure back-end.

  I have tried various options and none seem to work.

   I guessed certain settings for the GUI and the
termianl displayed the following results from a
typical run of mythsetup

[root at localhost bin]# ./mythtvsetup
DisplaRes::switch_res: desired resolution not
available
2004-12-28 21:57:47 switchToGUI: xrandr failed for 0 x
0
Somehow, your screen size settings are bad.
GuiHeight: 0
GuiWidth: 0
m_height: 0
m_width: 0
Falling back to 640x480
Would you like to clear all capture card
settings before starting configuration? [no]  no
Would you like to clear all program/channel
settings before starting configuration? [no]
mythtv: could not connect to socket
mythtv: No such file or directory
lirc_init failed for mythtv, see preceding messages
2004-12-28 21:58:30 Please wait while MythTV retrieves
the list of available channels
sh: tv_grab_uk: command not found
2004-12-28 21:58:30 tv_grab_uk --config-file
'/root/.mythtv/CRL DVB card.xmltv' --configure
2004-12-28 21:58:30 exited with status 32512
2004-12-28 21:58:45 Please wait while MythTV retrieves
the list of available channels
sh: tv_grab_uk: command not found
2004-12-28 21:58:45 tv_grab_uk --config-file
'/root/.mythtv/CRL DVB card.xmltv' --configure
2004-12-28 21:58:45 exited with status 32512
Couldn't open 0 to probe its inputs.
If this is the master backend server:
Now, please run 'mythfilldatabase' to populate the
database
with channel information.

It seems (obviously) that tv_grab_uk is not found

However, in /usr/bin the following DOES exist

[root at localhost bin]# ls | grep tv_grab_uk
tv_grab_uk_rt

So what do I do to achieve the back-end config?

For completeness I include the result of running
"mythfilldatabase" but I think the errors occuring are
as a result of the tv_grab_uk failure

[root at localhost bin]# mythfilldatabase
2004-12-28 22:28:18 mythfilldatabase: Listings
Download Started
----------------- Start of XMLTV output
-----------------
nice: tv_grab_uk: No such file or directory
------------------ End of XMLTV output
------------------
Error in 1:1: unexpected end of file
Updating icons for sourceid: 1
----------------- Start of XMLTV output
-----------------
nice: tv_grab_uk: No such file or directory
------------------ End of XMLTV output
------------------
Error in 1:1: unexpected end of file
Updating icons for sourceid: 2
Failed to fetch some program info
2004-12-28 22:28:18 mythfilldatabase: Failed to fetch
some program info

2. Also,the back-end setup GUI screens seem to be
"larger" than the window opened and the window is not
scrollable hence it is not always possible to see the
"Cancel" "Back" and "next" buttons on a screen. Is
there a fix for this?

3. Any recommendations or documentation on setting up
the  software for UK Freeview supplied through
standard aerial / antenna.

Thanks for any help or pointers

Clive