[mythtv-users] Re: nvidia fx5200 help please badly needed

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Dec 28 16:42:09 UTC 2004

Neil wrote:

> Ok. Now, here is another question. I'm a little confused about doing a
> combo with FX5200 and the pvr cards. I know that PVR-250 doesn't have
> any mpeg decoder feature while as the PVR-350 have this kind of
> feature. If I buy the nvidia FX5200 card and PVR-350, will I still be
> able to use 350's mpeg decoding feature and have it tv-out on the
> FX5200 card?

Short answer, no.  The long answer is that you can compile MythTV with
support for XvMC which does MPEG-2 acceleration with the FX5200.  It has
it's share of issues working with MythTV and I would consider it
experimental but it promises to do the same thing that the PVR-350 is
doing for you in accelerating the output.

Kevin