[mythtv-users] Problems building my box - PVR 350.

Amorya North amorya at amorya.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Dec 28 14:06:37 UTC 2004

On 28 Dec 2004, at 12:56 pm, Derek Jennings wrote:

> What is the graphics card? It must be very old indeed if it will not
> run X.
>
> Have you tried logging in at the text console and running
> XFdrake to set up the graphics card again.? If the driver is not
> autoselected
> try selecting vesa or vga. Select a very conservative resolution.
>
> What version of Mandrake is this?
>
> Did you look at the log to see why X will not start.
> In Mdk 10.1 the log is /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> You will find it easier to read log files if you install Midnight
> Commander
> with 'urpmi mc'  and then run 'mc' to get a text based file manager.

The card is some Cyrrus model I think - but unsure.

It can definitely display some form of graphic - I get  a nice
graphical "Press F1 for options" when I run the Mandrake installer, but
then after that the installer switches over to text mode and I don't
see any more graphics.

I tried XFdrake but it says "command not found". Where is XFdrake
found? I also tried xf86config, but to no avail.

The version of Mandrake is 10.1 official.

I'll check the logs.

Do I need a network connection to install Midnight Commander? I think I
have a driver for my ethernet port installed, but I haven't tried it
yet. Will have a go later.

Is this worth persevering with? Or should I get X up on the PVR 350 and
just not bother with the VGA card at all?

Thanks for your help!

Amorya