[mythtv-users] OT: 1080i question

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Tue Dec 28 12:58:22 UTC 2004

If anyone can shed light on this it would be appreciated.  As I understand
it, resolution for 16:9 with a 1080i monitor is 1920x1080 where 1920 can
be calculated by:

1920 = (1080 / 9) * 16

Does this hold true for 4:3 also.  E.G.  Is horizontal resolution for 4:3
aspect ratio with 1080 lines of vertical resolution 1440?

1440 = (1080 / 3) * 4

If both of these are true, is it possible, and is there a video card
that will
produce 1920x1080i and/or 1440x1080i?  If so, does anyone have
modelines for each these?

Are the h and v sync timing, pulse widths, porches, etc the same for both
or are they different?

I have a 16:9 aspect HD monitor and when I watch a 4:3 aspect program
on a digital channel, I get vertical black bars to the right and left of the
active video.  E.G.  The picture is centered in the screen.  Does anyone
know if this is done by adjustment of the porch widths or is it done by
filling the extra 480 pixels with whatever (black seems to be the choice)?

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown